About California Disability Alliance
What Do We Believe In?
Working together to defeat AB 1592 (Aroner) brought us close to each other as a community, and we discovered the many ideals that hold us together.
We believe, that persons with disabilities--indeed, ALL people--need to LIVE...
- with dignity
- without threats or coercion
- with as much independence as possible
- with high-quality, disability-sensitive health care
- with adequate and accessible housing
- with education consistent with individual goals
- with adequate transportation (in its broadest meaning)
- with fair & equitable treatment in public affairs
- with fair & equitable treatment in commerce (both as workers and customers)
- with access to full participation in social, religious, artistic & recreational activities
We who believe in these ideals are convinced that legalizing physician assisted suicide or euthanasia in the present environment will adversely affect our efforts to achieve these goals and will result in unnecessary deaths among people in poverty, people with disabilities, and elderly people.